Sunday, December 25, 2005

Pumpkin scones


This recipe betrays my roots in two ways. Where else but Queensland (formerly known as The Deep North) would you find pumpkin scones? I found the recipe in my old batter splattered home economics cook book called Day to Day Cookery for Home Craft Students. Home economics was a subject I almost failed because my apple charlotte was not perfectly presented, I couldn't cut the sandwiches straight in the Oslo lunch and my pikelets weren't perfectly round. But despite my inability to please the aesthetic sensibility of my teacher, I enjoyed the subject because it was my first real introduction to Australian suburban cooking.
Don't worry if the mixture in this recipe seems too wet and gluggy, it's supposed to be quite sticky. The scones come out a beautiful orange colour and are quite a bit sweeter and more cake-like in texture than plain scones. I used Queensland blue pumpkin for this recipe.

Pumpkin Scones

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup mashed pumpkin
2 cups self raising flour
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/3 cup milk
extra flour for rolling

Beat butter and sugar to a cream. Add egg and beat well, then pumpkin.
Add milk and flour and mix into a moist dough (I find using a butter knife to mix works well.
Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly, then press with palm of the hand until it is about 2.5cm in thickness.
Cut into scones and place on a greased and floured tray. Brush tops of scones with milk.
Bake in a hot oven (approx. 220c) until well browned. Roll in a tea towel to cool.

2 comments:

Rae said...

Those sound amazing! I just ador anything made from pumpkin.

Rae said...

Those sound amazing! I just adore anything made from pumpkin.