Monday, November 28, 2005

Recipe - Double chocolate chip cookies


I recently bought an oven thermometer and was equally horrified and pleased at what I found - horrified because I realise my oven's been cooking at 50 degrees lower than the temperature I set it at, pleased because now I can bake without fear, without having to increase the cooking time and then checking nervously every 5 minutes to see if the dish is cooked. Oven thermometers are not expensive - between $5 and $10 each - and can be found at kitchen shops. Unless you have the latest, state-of-the-art oven I heartily recommend you buy one.

I can now happily bake my favourite cookies (apologies for using the term cookies instead of biscuits - chocolate chip biscuits just doesn't sound right) without fear. These cookies are meant to be soft and chewy and can seem undercooked when done so it's necessary to have an accurate guide as to when they are actually cooked.

Double chocolate chip cookie recipe

125g unsalted butter, softened
1&1/4 cups or 250g firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1&1/2 cups or 225g plain flour
1/2 tspn baking powder
100g dark cooking chocolate, roughly chopped
100g white cooking chocolate, roughly chopped
(optional - nuts of your choice, crushed a little)

Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Place butter and sugar in bowl and beat until smooth.
Add vanilla and egg and continue to beat until just combined.
Sift in the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt, then fold in.
Stir through chunks of chocolate (and nuts if wanted).
Place tablespoonfuls of mixture 4-5cm apart on baking tray.
Bake for 15-20 minutes (check at 10) until golden. Cool a bit, then gobble up.

1 comment:

Spencer @ Moo-Lolly-Bar said...

Great blog and great looking recipe. I'll have to give it a go.